Yes well.. I’m on a roll.
A couple of things:
1. It’s amazing what you can learn on the internet. (Yes, I know some people take this to mean learning how to make bombs, and traps and drugs) but just a few months ago, my brother bought a Ukulele and I’ve since learned how to play it (with some skill, if I may say so myself.)
2. I’ve always wanted to play an instrument. I regret being too lazy to stick with the piano, and then too busy playing all the sports my school could offer, to bother training anything more than my voice. The ukulele was a great choice. Especially since I tried the guitar and found out my hands aren’t flexible,large, maneuverable enough to hold the chords.
3. The Ukulele Teacher is a spectacular resource on YouTube for anyone interested in learning the Uke. He goes through all the chords, the strumming patterns and plays through the chorus, verse, bridge so you know how it’s supposed to sound. You can find his channel here.
4. As I mentioned in a previous post I’ve taken on a rather beast of a task at work. The work, tension sits heavy on my chest and shoulders. I make a conscious effort to shut down, unwind each night, and practicing the Uke has been my respite. The repetition, going over the same words, the same chords over and over and over again; hearing it get better and better each time. It’s soothing. It’s meditative.
(As an aside, the other really good stress reliever is a daily, 45 minute, exhausting workout. Ending up with twitchy muscles, and soaked in sweat may not sound very pleasant, but oh it helps to leave the stress behind.)
5. Being able to share the end result with the world, with my friends and family, that’s just the cherry on top.
This song I dedicate to my parents who have a love like this song.
They got rich; they give away a lot of clothes (sweaters) in charities; they have big parties forcing people to dance; they moved to Sri Lanka and took care of their parents (Sri Lanka, South of France… same difference); they built a house up on a hill (Loolwatte), and can sometimes be found lying on blankets saying sweet nothings to each other.
And that’s just the chorus… 😉